There are many feet and leg conditions that are treated by podiatrists, and one of them are Bunions. Those who are not familiar with this condition should continue reading the article, and if you have any problems you can always visit a podiatrist Sydney City like ModPod Podiatry. If you have any problems with your feet, make sure to visit a podiatrist as soon as you can.
A bunion will form on the joint, at the base of your big toe and it is a bone-bump. It will form if your big toe starts to push the others, which forces your joint to get bigger and that makes it stick out. The skin that covers bunions can be red and sometimes sore. Usually, bunions do not cause pain and can be controlled, but in other cases, they can be very painful. bunions atlanta ga are easily recognizable and usual are not painful
Bunions are easily recognizable and usual are not painful
The surgery is usually not performed, unless there is no other option because there have been some cases where the surgery just made things worse, while many cases showed improvement. An incision will be made on the top or side of that big toe joint, and there the realignment or removal of the bone and soft tissue will be done.
This is usually done to relieve the patient from any pain as well as to restore the normal alignment to the joint. The surgery might require the use of screws small wires or plates that will be placed to hold your bones in place. But as it was said, there is no 100% guarantee that this surgery will work and make it painless for you.
What to expect after the surgery
If you think you might require surgery, you can surely get a bunion treatment from ModPod Podiatry, or other great podiatry clinics. The usual recovery after the bunion surgery is somewhere between six weeks to six months, and this depends on the amount of bone and soft tissue that is affected. Complete healing of your feet might take up to 1 year.
Surgery can correct your condition
Things to keep in mind:
- When you are showering, you need to keep your foot covered so the stitches are dry.
- Stitches will be removed between 7 – 21
- You might have pins that stick out of your foot, and they will be removed in three to four weeks, but there are some cases where they will be left for six weeks.
- Walking casts, special shoes, splints or wooden shoes might have to be used. In about four to five weeks you might be allowed to wear normal shoes, but sometimes you will have to wear the special shoes for about eight weeks. Many cases require you to wear special shoes for about three to four months after surgery.
- After some of the procedures, you will not be allowed to put any weight on your foot for six to eight weeks. Then, there are a few weeks that you will have to wear the partial weight-bearing of the foot with special shoes, that will keep your bones and soft tissues in place while they heal.
With just one glance, you should be able to tell if you suffer from bunions, and if you think you do, a visit to the podiatrist cannot hurt. Simply put, if you lead an active life, or your job requires you to stand or walk a lot, you should have a regular visit to your podiatrist. Especially, if you tend to wear uncomfortable footwear, like heels.