Omakase is a Japanese term that literally means “the captain’s choice.” It is a type of sushi meal where the diner selects their own fish, rice, and sauces. Omakase can be enjoyed in a variety of settings, from Michelin-starred restaurants to neighborhood sushi bars. Although omakase can be expensive, it is one of the most intimate ways to enjoy sushi.
One of the great benefits of omakase is that it allows diners to explore different types of fishes and rice. Some chefs will even prepare a dish using ingredients that the diner has never tasted before. This type of culinary creativity is what makes omakase so special.
What To Expect At An Omakase Restaurant
If you’re ever lucky enough to dine at an omakase restaurant, you’ll experience a truly unique dining experience. Omakase restaurants in Singapore are all about allowing the chef to choose everything you eat, without any predetermined menu items in advance. You simply tell your server what type of sushi or sashimi you would like and let them take care of the rest.
Since the chef has complete control over what you eat, it’s important to be aware of what to expect when visiting one of these establishments. Here are four things that will happen during your omakase meal:
1) The Sushi Chef Will Introduce Themselves
When you arrive at an omakase restaurant, the staff will likely greet you and ask if you have any dietary restrictions. After that, it’s time for the sushi chef to get started! They will walk around the table introducing themselves and sharing a bit about their cuisine.
2) You’ll Pick Your Sushi Rolls And Maki Rolls
Once everyone is introduced, it’s time for some serious sushi eating! Your server will remove a variety of sushi rolls and maki rolls from the fridge and place them in front of you on the plates. It’s up to you to select which ones you’d like to try.
3) The Sushi Chef Will Place Your Order And Serve It Up In Style
After making your selections, it’s time for your sushi chef to take care of business. They will place each roll in front of you, starting with the freshest items and working their way down to the more stale options.
4) Enjoy The Experience And Thank Your Server Later
Once you’ve finished your meal, it’s time to say goodbye to your server and head on out. Thank them for their wonderful service and enjoy your delicious omakase sushi experience!
How To Order At An Omakase Restaurant
If you’re looking to explore the world of omakase, or “chef’s choice” dining, in Tokyo, your best bet is to head to one of the city’s top-rated restaurants. Here are six tips on how to order at an omakase restaurant:
1. Book A Reservation Months In Advance
Tokyo’s top omakase restaurants are always busy, and booking a reservation well in advance is essential if you want to get a table. It’s also important to note that these establishments can often be quite strict about seating arrangements; make sure you have a rough idea of what kind of cuisine you want to try before making your reservation.
2. Be Prepared To Spend A Lot Of Money
Omakase dining typically involves some serious splurging – expect to pay anywhere from ¥10,000 (US$92) up to ¥200,000 (US$1732) per person for a complete experience. However, it’s definitely worth it for those who are adventurous foodies and enjoy trying out new dishes – after all, this is the only way to truly savor the chef’s genius!
3. Let The Chef Choose Your Meal
When you arrive at an omakase restaurant, your host will take you into the kitchen where they will seat you at the chef’s station . Here, the chef will select a dish specifically for you and you will be expected to try it before making your decision about whether or not to order it.
4. Be Mindful Of The Menu Items You’re Asked To Try
In most cases, the chef will ask you to try a variety of different items on the menu, from starters to main courses. However, be aware that some dishes are more complex than others, so if you’re not up for a challenge – or if you don’t have time – it might be best to skip them.
5. Trust Your Senses And Let The Chef Do The Talking
The key to enjoying an amazing omakase meal is to let your senses take over. Once you’ve been seated at the chef’s station and have had a chance to taste the dishes being served, simply relax and let your host do all the talking. They will be able to provide you with valuable information about the restaurant, the chef, and what exactly you’re eating.
Tips and Tricks For The First Time Visiter
For the first time visitor to omakase, it can be daunting. There are so many options, and how do you know what to order? Here are some tips and tricks to help make your experience a positive one:
- Talk to the chef ahead of time. If you have any questions or want to discuss a particular dish, ask! The chefs are more than happy to help out new diners and will be excited to share their knowledge and expertise.
- Do your research. Familiarize yourself with what is available on the menu before sitting down, so you can make an informed decision about what you would like to eat. You might be surprised at just how much variety there is!
- Order items in smaller portions instead of relying on large plates or bowls. This way, you can taste more of the dish and get a better understanding of its flavor profile. Plus, it’s less intimidating for first-time omakase diners who might feel overwhelmed by all the choices available.
- Let the chef choose for you! When you sit down for your omakase meal, let the chef know what type of cuisine (or dishes) you are most interested in trying and leave the menu selection up to them. This way, they can customize your experience based on their own personal preferences and cooking style.